FSMN recognizes the value that film can bring to learning. We also recognize the need to be thoughtful about its use. As a result, the following protocols are in place:
- Teachers/staff will preview all materials to be shown to students.
- In addition to the preview, staff will reference reviews, using a reputable screening tool like commonsensemedia.org.
- Parents will be notified (no less than one week ahead of time) about the movie options, including a description and links to reviews of material.
- An alternative option to watching the film will always be provided.
- Time will be allowed for post-viewing student/adult feedback.
Materials that are relatively straight forward, such as the science kit videos, PBS materials and music performances, for instance, will be shown in the classroom without parent notification.