This position is .5 FTE begining August 2019.
Please send a cover letter describing interest, work background and experience to email@example.com
Application deadline is Friday, February 15.
Friends School of Minnesota (FSMN) is an independent K-8 progressive Quaker school in St. Paul, Minnesota with 150 students. Our mission is to prepare children to embrace life, learning, and community with hope, skill, understanding and creativity. We are committed to the Quaker values of peace, justice, simplicity and integrity.
FSMN welcomes applications from all qualified applicants who share our core values, including the Equity and Inclusion vision of our Strategic Plan: “We envision a school community that embodies strength in diversity through the sharing of rich cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and experiences, and the celebration of varied personal expressions and identities, while recognizing the challenges posed by societal structures of oppression. We envision a student body that is able to work towards and is committed to social justice and equitable change making in the world. We commit to the long-term, collective work of examining school culture, practices, and policies, changing conditions to promote equity, defining diversity and inclusion needs within our school community, and approaching this work with humility and urgency.”
Friends School of Minnesota seeks a part time Learning Specialist for the 2019-2020 school year. The successful candidate will have experience with diverse student populations, parents and teachers in the coordination, monitoring and oversight of learning support plans, individualized education plans through Saint Paul Public Schools, and support for gifted and talented and/or twice exceptional students. The candidate must be willing to embrace the mission and values of Friends School of Minnesota.
FSMN is committed to providing excellent services for students with learning differences. The Learning Specialist supports the capacity of our faculty and parents by creating and supervising implementation of individual student learning support plans (LSPs), supporting staff and students within the classroom, providing parent education and consultation, and collaborating with SPPS to initiate and facilitate learning assessments, individualized education plans (IEPs) and direct services.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Write, implement, and manage learning support plans and IEP’s for individual students.
- Oversee intervention services; conduct referrals to SPPS and evaluations of students.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings and workshops with parents, teachers and other professionals who work with identified students.
- Support teachers and teacher assistants in ensuring LSPs, IEPs, and strategies for gifted and talented and/or twice exceptional students are carried out to best support all learners.
- Lead training sessions with FSMN staff to ensure best practices in teaching students with learning differences.
- Make connections and build relationships with students to support their academic achievement and social growth.
- Create and update LSPs based on assessment results, and maintain confidential student records and documentation of diagnoses and support plans.
- Conduct student observations in classrooms and implement formal protocols for observations and documentation.
- Support students with behavioral needs in the classroom.
- Review policies and plans around learning differences at FSMN.
- Bachelor’s Degree in special education, education, or related field
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret educational/psychoeducational assessment reports
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse student populations, families and teachers
- Related experience in educational/classroom settings
- Experience with EBD students
- Experience working with learners with diverse learning needs
The information contained here is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.